Metal is one of the most essential materials in existence. Metal can be found in virtually every structure across the globe, and one of the most visually appealing metals is a type of bronze called aluminum bronze.
Aluminum bronze is a type of bronze in which aluminum is the primary alloying metal, which is then added to copper or brass. A variety of aluminum bronzes of different compositions have found use across various industries, with the majority ranging from 5% to 11% aluminum by weight.
Aluminum bronze alloys are typically made up between 9% and 12% aluminum and as much as 6% nickel and iron. Here are some of the most common compositions of aluminum bronze:
- CuAl5 — This composition consists of 4% to 6.5% aluminum, 05% iron, 0.8% nickel, 0.5% manganese, and 0.5% zinc.
- CuAl8 — This composition consists of 7% to 9% aluminum, 05% iron, 0.8% nickel, 0.5% manganese, and 0.5% zinc.
- CuAl8Fe3 — This composition consists of 1.5% to 3.5% aluminum, 1% iron, 1% nickel, 0.8% manganese, and 0.5% zinc.
- CuAl9Mn2 — This composition consists of 8% to 10% aluminum, 1.5% iron, 0.8% nickel, 1.5% to 3% manganese, and 0.5% zinc.
- CuAl10Fe3 — This composition consists of 2% to 4% aluminum, 2% to 4iron, 1% nickel, 2% manganese, and 0.5% zinc.
- CuAl10Fe5Ni5 — This composition consists of 2% to 6% aluminum, 2% to 6% iron, 4% to 6% nickel, 2% manganese, and 0.5% zinc.
Additionally, the most popular aluminum bronze grades used primarily for aerospace engineering throughout the world, as well as chemical and general engineering, are: CA104, CW307G, BS2 B23, and DTD197A. These aluminum bronze grades are so popular because because of their excellent wear and abrasion resistance, ability to withstand shock loading, and excellent mechanical properties at cryogenic temperatures.
It’s important to note that many of these alloys are specialized and extremely hard to find without working directly with Diversified Metals. If you want to learn more about aluminum bronze grades, stainless steel grades, or other types of high performance metal alloys, give Diversified Metals a call right away.